Work & You – Tax Refund on Spot

Being employed will mean you are accepting a compensation or a pay, and you could be full-time, part-time, casual, a contractual worker or expert. Be that as it may, what do they all mean? What’s more, how can that influence how you get paid – and how you are taxed?


A man employed on a permanent premise, working the grant recommended least hours every week, paid consistently, and qualified for every one of the advantages and leave privileges.


A man employed on a permanent premise, working consistent hours that are inside of a base and greatest characterized number of hours every week, and entitled for the advantages with respect to the quantity of hours worked. Part time representatives are entitled for the same working conditions as full-time representatives, including, by and large, the same hourly rate of pay.


Casual representatives take a shot at an hourly or regular schedule, however by and large work less hours than the conventional week by week working hours of a full-time worker. To make up for passing up a great opportunity for the advantages recompensed full and part time employees, additional stacking is added to casual’s pay. Casual employees can work the same number of hours or shifts as a full-time employee and still not be viewed as lasting. A few working environments however may be required to offer full-time work to an casual who works conventional hours after a certain maintained time of doing as such.


As a rule, contractors (or consultants) are independently employed individuals utilized for a particular task, at a concurred cost, considering a particular objective, and regularly over a pre-decided time period. They set their own hours of work and deal with their own tax obligation. They aren’t paid a salary or hourly rate, and because they aren’t an employee, a contractor’s position is more effectively fired than a “permanent” employee. Being a contactor’s worker does have tax implication.


Wages and salaries are the most well-known sorts of employee payments. Wage is viewed as a pay if the work is standard and wages if it is not consistent. Both must be announced in full on your tax return – unless particularly exempted.

For more information on myTax 2019, online tax return 2019, myGov 2019, Tax Return 2019 , or any other tax related matter, please call our professional accountant on 1300 768 284 . For more information please contact us at 1300768284 or you can email us

Are You Getting Government Assistance?

Through Centrelink, the government provides financial and other assistance to people under a variety of programs. Some common payments you may have heard of are austudy, Newstart, youth allowance, parenting payment (single) and CDEP, the Community development employment program (one of the largest Indigenous programs in Australia). Depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to one or more of these payments.

Many Centrelink payments are assessable for income tax purposes and need to be included on your tax return.

Other government pensions, allowances and payments are exempt from income tax, for example, the disability support pension (when paid to a person who is below the age pension age).

Tax offset for government payments

If you receive a taxable government payment you may be entitled to a tax offset called the beneficiary tax offset. A tax offset will directly reduce the amount of tax you pay. The beneficiary tax offset is available if you receive more than $6,000 of an assessable government payment in a financial year (that is, the offset cuts in at the point you go over the tax-free threshold and would otherwise have to start paying tax). If you have other assessable income you may still need to pay some tax.

To claim the offset you must enter the payment you receive at the correct item on your tax return. The ATO will automatically calculate the offset for you when we process your tax return.

The offset will only reduce your tax, it will not reduce any Medicare levy you may have to pay.

You may also be entitled to the low income tax offset.

For more information on myTax 2019, online tax return 2019, myGov 2019, Tax Return 2019 , or any other tax related matter, please call our professional accountant on 1300 768 284 .

Income Tax Rates 2017

Personal income tax changes

What are the proposed changes?

Table 1 shows both the current and proposed personal income tax rates for Australian tax residents.

Table 1: Current and proposed personal marginal income tax rates, $p.a.
CurrentFrom 1 July 2016
Taxable Income Rate %Taxable IncomeRate %
180,001 and over45180,001 and over45


For more information on Etax, myTax ATO and online tax return, please contact us at 1300768284 or you can email us at