Planning on Developing Property?

Did you know that if you build and sell new residential premises you pay GST on the sale? And you can generally claim GST credits for your construction costs and purchases related to the sale.

We are identifying and contacting developers early on in the planning process to help you understand your GST entitlements and responsibilities.

When a new development starts we sometimes verify significant refund claims. We may do this if you:

  • lodge a BAS without reporting property transactions, or
  • have an outstanding BAS.

If you haven’t lodged your BAS we’ll remind you so you don’t get behind. When we do this we can assist you with any questions you may have.

If you need advice from the ATO about the tax treatment of your development you can lodge a request for a private binding ruling.

Property development, building and renovating

If you’re renovating one or more properties you need to work out if you are a personal property investor, engaged in a profit-making activity of property renovations, or carrying on a business of renovating properties.

If you build new residential premises for sale, you’re liable for GST on the sale, and you can generally claim GST credits for your construction costs and purchases related to the sale.

Register of Private Binding Rulings

We publish edited versions of written binding advice in the Register of Private Binding Rulings.

This enhances the integrity and transparency of the private ruling system and confirms for the recipient that it is official ATO advice. The advice is edited to protect the secrecy and privacy of the applicant.

Status of versions published in the Register

The edited versions of written binding advice published in the Register can’t be relied on by taxpayers or their advisers in any way. They can’t be relied upon as precedent or used for determining how the ATO will apply the law. The records in this Register are not binding and provide no protection.

For more information on myTax 2019, online tax return 2019, myGov 2019, Tax Return 2019 , or any other tax related matter, please call our professional accountant on 1300 768 284 or you can email us at

Tags: No tags

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *