You can claim vehicle and other travel expenses
- Directly linked with your work,
- Can’t claim for normal trips between home and work – this is considered private travel
To claim that expenses record should be maintained. While trips between home and work are usually considered private travel, you can claim deductions in some situation, as well as for some journey between two workplaces.
If your travel was partly private and partly for work, you can only maintain for the part related to your work.
Travel between home and work and between workplace
- Travel between home and work are usually considered private travel.
- You can claim deductions some travel between workplaces in some circumstances.
- If your travel was partly private and partly for work, you can only claim for the part related to your work Car expenses
- If you are claiming a deduction for using your own car (including a car you lease or hire), it is treated as a car expense.
- If you use someone else’s car for work purposes, you may be able to claim the direct costs (such as fuel) as a travel expense.
What you can’t claim
You can’t claim the cost of driving your car between work and home just because:
- you do minor job-related tasks – for example, picking up the mail on the way to work or home
- you have to drive between your home and your office more than once a day
- you are on call – for example, you are on stand-by responsibility and your manager contacts you at home to come into work
- there is no public transport near where you work
- you work outside normal business hours – for example, shift work or overtime
- your home was a place where you ran your own business and you travelled straight to a place of work where you worked for someone
- you do some work at home.
GET FREE Tax Refund estimate and Option of getting refund in 1 Hour, prior year Tax returns are also available, Just fill in your basic details on our website at www.taxrefundonspot.com.au or by emailing us on firstname.lastname@example.org we will check your employment history from ATO records, personal visit available at tax refund on spot.
We also have our separate department for Home loan, refinancing, car & truck loan.