Spouse or Children Living Apart

When your spouse or children live in a different home to you

Having a different home from your dependent child

If you and a dependent child under 18 years have different homes for a period, you must choose one of the homes as the main residence for both of you for the period.

Having a different home from your spouse

If you and your spouse have different homes for a period, you and your spouse must either:

  • choose one of the homes as the main residence for both of you for the period, or
  • nominate the different homes as your main residences for the period.

If you nominate different homes for the period and you own 50% or less of the home you have nominated, you qualify for an exemption for your share. If you own more than 50%, your share is exempt for half the period you and your spouse had different homes.

The same applies to your spouse. If your spouse owns 50% or less of the home they have nominated, they qualify for an exemption for their share. However, if your spouse owns more than 50% of the home, their share is exempt for only half the period you had different homes.

This rule applies to each home the spouses own, whether they have sole ownership or own the home jointly (either as joint tenants or tenants in common).

Your spouse includes another person (of the same or opposite sex) who:

  • You were in a relationship with that was registered under a prescribed state or territory law
  • Although not legally married to you, lived with you on a genuine domestic basis in a relationship as a couple.

This rule applies also if you choose to treat a dwelling as your main residence after you move out, and this choice results in your having a different main residence from your spouse or a dependent child for a period.

For more information on myTax 2019, online tax return 2019, myGov 2019, Tax Return 2019 , or any other tax related matter, please call our professional accountant on 1300 768 284 . For more information please contact us at 1300768284 or you can email us atenquiry@taxrefundonspot.com.au

State and Territory Payroll Tax Obligations

Payroll tax is a tax on the wages paid by employers. Employers are likely for payroll tax when their total Australian wages exceed a certain level called the ‘exemption threshold’. Exemption thresholds vary between states and territories.

The payroll tax obligations for not-for-profit organizations are the same as for businesses, except in certain situation.

Payroll tax should not be confused with the pay as you go (PAYG) withholding structure. Payroll tax is payable to the related state or territory by an employer, based on the total wages paid to all employees. Wages include salary, allowances, super contributions, fringe benefits, shares and options and certain contractor payments.

Some organizations may be exempt from payroll tax provided specific circumstances are satisfied. These organizations may include religious institutions, public benevolent institutions, public or not-for-profit hospitals, not-for-profit non-government schools and charitable organizations.

For more information on Etax, myTax ATO and online tax return, please contact us at 1300768284 or you can email us at enquiry@taxrefundonspot.com.au